How to File a Witness Slip in Illinois
Let your voice be heard! Follow the instructions below to file a witness slip. Download a printable PDF version by clicking here.
– Go to my.ilga.gov
– Click on House or Senate
– To find the bill you want to file a witness slip for in committee, click on the Committees tab on the left. Find your committee, then click on the Legislation on the far right of the committee line entry.
– After you’ve found the bill, you need to see if it is in an upcoming hearing. To find the hearing, click on the tab with the Notice of Hearings at the top of the page.
– Select a hearing date, and click on “View Legislation” on the far right
– After finding the line of your bill, click on Create Witness Slip on the right
– Under I. Identification – fill in the required fields
– Under II. Representation – state who you are representing: Provider agency; Direct support professionals Individual receiving services; Family of individual receiving services; Self; Someone who cares! If your representative is on the committee, then you can let them know you commented by writing that you are a Constituent of First name Last name.
– Under III. Position – check “Proponent” “Opponent” or “No Position on Merits” and make sure you are responding to the Original Bill, or to the Amendments that you want your opinion heard on.
– Under IV. Testimony – check “Record of Appearance Only” if you won’t be speaking at the meeting.
– Put in the correct “captcha”
– Check that you “Agree to ILGA Terms of Services”
– Click the “Create Slip” button – you’re done and you’ve made your voice heard!
– You can find the members of the different committees by clicking on the Committees button, and then the Members tab on the right hand side.
Want to get active? Join the Democratic Party of Evanston’s Political Committee.